Tuesday, September 28, 2021

 FYI

Yesterday I was determined to discover what data Google had saved on me in their database. So, I followed their directions and requested that information. What I received from "Google Takeout" 24 hours late was an e-mail with 21 files to download. I downloaded one, it was over 3 GB. Follow me, here: 3 GB x 21 files that is 63 GB (or .6 TB)!!! Ok, well, that alarmed me. I then tried to open the file. Of course, they sent me to their Google Store because it requires a special program to read the files I requested (???wth??).
Ok...downloaded it...only when opening the file to get an error message that I needed to contact some administrator. Ok, so, here's the thing.
1. I have nothing to hide but do I want Google to track everything I do (they even know when I'm playing an app game and how long I'm on it)?
2. What harm could come to me with them "tracking" and "collecting" my every move (yes, even via Google Map and IP addresses)?
3. What benefit would Google get from tracking my every move?
4. What would actually happen if I requested they delete ALL of my data?
WHAT I DISCOVERED:
I don't really want anyone tracking me for any reason without my 100% consent, which I would probably only give to a couple of people in my life. Physically speaking, there probably is no damage to their tracking me, HOWEVER...
1. Google benefits by charging any other corporation who might want my data (and they do this in bulk) for their own use and discretion. Here's the kicker that probably motivated me to act.
2. Also, any webpage that I open sends an innocent cookie to my computer. It seems to have no effect on me, however, any company can use that to send me various advertisements or created their own database on me. BUT they can also communicate with all the other cookies and see what I have done online.
For instance, Amazon can see what I have been doing and try to target me with their ads. But the problem here isn't Amazon per se, it is that ANY WEBSITE I visit can do this. Each cookie can be accessed via other website cookies when using chrome.
3. So, anything and everything that I do online is public information to private (and government) access.
Please note, I am not a conspiracy addict nor am I screaming "conspiracy" here. I am simply sharing with you a complete violation and removal of personal freedom, including a right to privacy (which used to be protected by the US Constitution).
Even with such information, I feared that if I had Google delete all they have collected on me (more than 63 GB) that it might affect my dependence and use of Google products (hey, I like the useful and integrated tools, no doubt). So, I sat on this and did more research.
What I found is that requesting Google to delete all the files they have on me (now I'm feeling like a wanted poster on the US Post Office wall [do they still have those?]), has had NO EFFECT on my continued use of Google products. And, while having them delete those, I found a switch that tells them to delete all data every 3 months. I did so.
Sorry, this was so long but it was personal and I thought it important. And, I know it probably seemed somewhat important and personal to you, for the brainless stopped reading this by now. 🙂 I am not trying to be an alarmist, but I am concerned that we are just "consumers" to be exploited in whatever capacity corporations and our own government deem necessary to serve their own purpose and profit. I would encourage you to share this long thread with other concerned citizens.
I suppose if it gets worse, then I either find a full substitute for Google or simply cut them out of my life, regardless of the inconvenience. My personal safety and privacy are not something I take for granted. And, at the current lack of concern for both, true LIBERTY is in jeopardy. Thanks for reading. -Richard NeSmith
PS: Whether Google is ethical enough to actually delete the data I requested might be another NY Times story, I don't know. But, here is the link I found with directions to easily request Google to remove all data on me. I did it and I feel better about it all...for now. 🙂 Maybe Facebook should have the SAME option.

See: https://www.komando.com/security-privacy/erase-everything-google-knows-about-you/750537/?fbclid=IwAR1t5PzBW19EYwJbLDbwk04ZQZYZPL_mpQA4AfiUtBb61RmZHORpPsNInjk

No comments:

Post a Comment